Thursday, November 6, 2014

Into the Wilderness...


I did know thee in the wilderness, in the land of great drought.  Hosea 13:5

Charles Spurgeon wrote, "Yes, Lord, thou didst indeed know me in my fallen state, and thou didst even then choose me for thyself. When I was loathsome and self-abhorred, thou didst receive me as thy child, and thou didst satisfy my craving wants. Blessed for ever be thy name for this free, rich, abounding mercy. Since then, my inward experience has often been a wilderness; but thou hast owned me still as thy beloved, and poured streams of love and grace into me to gladden me, and make me fruitful. Yea, when my outward circumstances have been at the worst, and I have wandered in a land of drought, thy sweet presence has solaced me. Men have not known me when scorn has awaited me, but thou hast known my soul in adversities, for no affliction dims the lustre of thy love. Most gracious Lord, I magnify thee for all thy faithfulness to me in trying circumstances, and I deplore that I should at any time have forgotten thee and been exalted in heart, when I have owed all to thy gentleness and love. Have mercy upon thy servant in this thing!"

This may seem an odd thing to write, but as I read this devotion written by the great Charles Spurgeon, my heart was moved at the thought of how Christ is with us in our sufferings, in our troubles, in the trials.  He is with us in the darkest of nights, in the storms and the worst of the worst circumstances.  He is with us.

I wonder how many times we are allowed to go into the wilderness just because He longs to be near to us.  Isn't it so that when all is well, our hearts wander off, our devotion wanes, our need for him dims?

Do you recall the story of Jesus going with the disciples into the garden to pray?  He asked them to tarry there with him, and they fell asleep.  How often does he go with us into the dark and dismal places, and yet, when we are asked to go into the dark and dismal places we resist?  Could it be that our suffering draws us closer to him and him to us?

We are given the directive to "Be still and know that he is God."  It is a difficult thing to be still when all we want is our suffering to be shortened, our pain to decrease, our sadness to be lifted.  

When has he ever led you into the valley of the shadow of death when he has not gone with you?  When has he ever placed you in the boat tossed about on life's ocean, when he wasn't with you?  When has he ever given you a mountain to climb when he wasn't by your side?  

Yes, He goes into the wilderness with us, he is in the shipwreck, he is on the mountainside, and he is in the valley of the shadow.  Every time we go, he goes with us.  Are you willing to quiet your heart and go with him?  Not every path is clearly lit, not every road is clearly named.  Not every outcome is sure.  

Nothing is promised; not tomorrow, not today, not our next breath.  One thing I know, he will not leave or forsake us.  Wherever his path leads us, he too will go.

Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment