Saturday, August 23, 2014

Of weeds and wishes...



How we get through circumstances in our lives often depends on our perspective.  We all know this, it's just we often forget to remind ourselves of this fact.

When my son was a little guy, about four years old or so, we were visiting my dad's house.  They had a great wrap around porch with wicker seats and a swing, flowers, bird houses.  It was a peaceful place.  The long driveway was lined with beautiful Bradford Pear trees.  The five acres of land was always mowed and cared for.  

But this one day...my dad was talking about the dandelions that were overtaking the front yard. If my memory serves me correctly, dad had sprayed for weeds, but the dandelions remained.  He was a bit perturbed by this.  

And then, my innocent son, standing and running through the seeded dandelions said with great enthusiasm, "Grandpa!  Look at all these wishes!!!"  My dad looked at me and said something to the effect of, "I may never spray those weeds again."  I don't know if he did or didn't, but for a brief moment, his perspective was changed.

The point is, we can look at our life circumstances as weeds or wishes.  We can see our trials as another burden, another attack, or we can accept that the trials by fire are purposed to refine us.  

Weeds or Wishes?  Which will you choose to see today?

Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment