Thursday, January 9, 2014

Casting all my cares...

I love Charles Spurgeon. I love how his timeless devotions are simple enough to understand, and how they cut right to the chase.

Here's an excerpt from a recent devotion I've read.  

"O child of suffering, be thou patient; God has not passed thee over in his providence.  He who is the feeder of the sparrows, will also furnish you with what you need.  Sit not down in despair; hope on, hope ever.  Take up the arms of faith against a sea of trouble, and your opposition shall yet end your distresses.  There is One who careth for you.  His eye is fixed on you, his heart beats with pity for your woe, and his hand omnipotent shall yet bring you the needed help. The darkest cloud shall scatter itself in showers of mercy.  The blackest gloom shall give place to the morning.  He, if thuo art one of his family, will bind up thy wounds, and heal they broken heart.  Doubt not his grace because of they tribulation, but believe that he liveth thee as much in seasons of trouble as in times of happiness.  What a serene and quiet life might you lead if you would leave providing to the God of providence!  With a little oil in the cruse, and a handful of meal in the barrel, Elijah outlived the famine, and you will do the sam.  If God cares for you, why need you care too?  Can you trust him for your soul and not for your body?  He has never refused to bear your burdens, he has never fainted under their weight.  Come, then, soul!  Have done with fretful care, and leave all they concerns in the hand of a gracious God."

My favorite part of this devotion is the simple question, "Can you trust him for your soul and not for your body?"  For me, this is a question that has resounded in my heart over the past few days.  Seems the faith in my head and the faith in my heart are finding trouble meeting up.

The faith in my head prays, "God I believe you can heal me."  The faith in my heart says, "I better prepare for the worst in case he doesn't."  But upon reading the account of a Canaanite woman, here is what I've found.  

"Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.  A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly."  Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "send her away, for she keeps crying out after us..."  Matthew 15:22-23.

If you continue reading that story, Jesus did indeed have an encounter with the woman and because of her faith, healed her daughter.  

What is so impactful to me is the statement, "Jesus did not answer a word."  Yet, the woman still continued to follow along, crying out to them. Why?  Because she knew that He was her source.  When she finally caught up to him, He told gave her an answer that most of us would take as a "no."  But she continued... why?  Because she had no other hope.  And because of her great hope, Jesus granted her request.

Leaving me again with the question, Can I trust him with my soul but not my body?  Lord, increase my faith!  Lord, help me with my unbelief!

Only By His Grace,

Billie

2 comments:

  1. What a WORD spoken in due season! Do you know that Charles Spurgeon suffered from depression? Yet , What a man of God! Wow. Food for the soul! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and what a great example of the faith of how to be submissive to the Father's will - even when we don't understand it....

    ReplyDelete