Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Sharing that joy...

I must share something exciting with you.  

Our little cousin, the cutest second grade student ever, lead her class in a service project this year at Christmas, and I got to participate - if even in the tiniest of ways.

At the year-end Christmas party this sweet child provided three boxes of inspirational cards to her class.  





Each student then had the opportunity to write a note inside.  These notes included wishes such as, "praying for you," "get well soon" and "Jesus loves you," all written in their best second-grade manuscript.  Sweet beyond words!

My job was simple; I simply had to deliver them to the cancer treatment center where I have my treatments each week.  The nurses do the rest, delivering and distributing them to the patients.  

This is such a blessing, not only to me and the other patients, but to these sweet children as well.  Why?  Because it gives us an opportunity to share in the joy.  "But I will rejoice even if I lose my life, pouring it out like a liquid offering to God, just like your faithful service is an offering to God.  And I want all of you to share in that joy."  Phil 2:17

Every one of us has the opportunity every day to share in this joy.  You may not desire to write cards or to blog, but each of us has the opportunity, nonetheless.  We can share a smile, a warm "hello," lend a listening ear to a friend in need.  Did you  know that a large majority of patients that attempted suicide said that if someone had simply offered them a smile or a hello, they could have gotten through the day - they wouldn't have attempted to end their life?

You never know how far your simple act of love will reach.

It's January 1 and people all over the globe are making New Year's Resolutions.  This year, I encourage you to make one that truly matters.  Find a way to reach out to others and extend a friendly hand.

Share in the joy...  Sometimes that means we "lose our life."  Not in a physical sense, but rather in a metaphorical sense.  We lose 15 minutes of our time to listen to a broken-hearted friend.  We lose half an hour preparing a meal for a sick friend. (This has been the biggest blessing to me thus far and I am grateful.)  We lose 5 minutes of our life to send a quick email, write a note or text message a simple reminder, "I'm praying for you."  If you look for the opportunity it will present itself.

This year...are you willing to "lose your life" so that you may "share in the joy?"

Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment