Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The highest example...



I am always encouraged by the examples I find in the Bible.  There are so many founders of the faith whom I would like to pattern myself after.

Abraham hoped against hope and he saw the promise  of God.  Peter, although momentary, had faith enough to step out on the waves with Christ.  Noah had faith to build the ark, Moses lead the Israelites out of bondage, Daniel waited in the den of starving lions.  

But the highest example I have is Christ.  I think of all he was tempted with in the desert.  He was tempted to, "...tell these stones to become bread."  He was tempted to, "throw himself down" so "the angels would lift him up and he would not strike his foot against a stone."  He was shown all the kingdoms of the world and promised, "All of this I will give you."  Even in the midst of his sadness, his hunger and his isolation, Christ responded, "Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only."  Matthew 4 NIV

"In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayer and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence.  Although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered."   Hebrews 5:7-8 ESV  

"And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on the cross." Philippians 2:8 NIV


This passage is the greatest example I can find for how I am to respond to this journey I am on.  I know that God has heard my cries and has seen my tears.  I pray that I have been heard because of my reverence.  Like Christ, I pray that I will learn obedience through what I suffer, and will be willing to submit myself to whatever plan He has for me. 

I think of Christ's prayer in the garden of Gethsemane.  "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will."  Matthew 26:39. 

Again, he prayed, "My Father, if it not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."  Matthew 26:42.

In every prayer I pray my heart submits to the will of the Father.  Oh, if I could pass this cup I would, but my heart knows that this is the Father's will for me, for this moment in my life.  He alone is sovereign and by his omnipotence he has allowed me to be in this place, at this moment, for such a time as this.  Why would I, in my faulty human understanding try to thwart the will of God for my own will? 

I cannot.  The journey is not easy, the unknowns are many.  But I will submit my own will for my Father's will - even when I don't understand.  Because I know that His ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts.  Because I know that all things work together for good for him that loves the Lord and are called according to his purpose.  Because I know that The Most High is sovereign - I am not.

And so in every prayer my heart's cry is, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done."  Because if this prayer, this example of submission, is good enough for my savior, it is good enough for me!

Only By His Grace,

Billie


No comments:

Post a Comment