Sunday, January 19, 2014

Chemo round three update...

It has been a few days since my last post.  This week started my third round of chemotherapy.  I must admit, it seems to take me a little longer to recover each time...but eventually, I do begin to recover.

Symptoms are weird and vary from each treatment.  Nausea and fatigue are always a given... but strange symptoms like blurred vision, ringing in my ears, slight numbness in my hands, shaky legs and otherwise, just brain fog.  It seems I have to concentrate more to get the simplest tasks completed.  Meals are sometimes dangerous :)  I have to set multiple timers just to make sure I remember one dish or another, without burning something.  Even in all of this, these symptoms typically last about 5 or 6 days and then I start to feel like myself again.

An update on progress should be coming soon.  I have nine appointments in the next fourteen days.  I have another treatment on Thursday, then we have scans scheduled. We'll see if the tumor has shrunk enough to get urine to pass from my kidney into my bladder.  If so, then we can remove the nephrostomy tube. 

Then I have four days of Neupogen injections.  This drug helps the body to create white blood cells.  If all goes well, and the cancer has shrunk enough, then we will talk about scheduling surgery.  

To be honest, at this point I am ready for the surgery.  I do not know how some patients undergo chemo therapy for long periods of time.  These three small rounds have just about kicked my booty.  The incessant fatigue is about to drive me bonkers.  I'm a doer.  I like to do stuff, like clean house and mop floors and wash windows and organize closets.  I don't like sitting in a chair, and I loathe feeling lethargic.

In fact, I'm starting to feel like a big fat whiney weenie...a mere shadow of myself.  I'm tired, lethargic, groggy, foggy and weak.

My source of strength comes from scripture at all times.  Psalm 18:28-30 says, "For You will light my lamp; The Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.  For by You I can run against a troop, By my God I can leap over a wall.  As for God, his way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him."  

This is my prayer this week.  To say that cancer cannot be a dark place is untrue.  But the Lord lights my path and enlightens my darkness.  I do believe that by Him I am running against a troop, and with His help I will leap over this wall.  

In everything, I believe God's way is perfect and He is a shield to all who trust in Him.  I trust in Him and He is my shield. 

Only By His Grace,

Billie


No comments:

Post a Comment