Thursday, April 17, 2014

Comfort for others...


Monday, April 21 is my surgery.  It is a radical surgery and the recovery will be an insane uphill climb.  But I'm ready.  I feel like I've been prepared for such a time as this.  I believe God has allowed me to walk this path for a purpose.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."  2 Corinthians 1:3-5

My hope in this blog is that someone, somewhere has gained hope and encouragement from my struggle with cancer.  My prayer is that my hope and trust has overflowed to another life.  I believe I have been given a great gift of peace and I pray that peace extends to you.

Tomorrow is Friday.  I start my new diet (afore warned sarcasm).  Starting Friday, I may eat soft foods such as noodle soup, yogurt, jello.  Saturday and Sunday it's liquids only, such as juices and broth, yummy broth.  Do you understand what this means?  No Easter ham!  No mashed potatoes!  No green beans!  No coconut cake!  For the love...

One thing I do get to have is 3 servings of Magnesium Citrate.  Yes, folks, liquid laxative.  Did I mention that a serving is 10 oz?  At least it's lemon flavored.  Sigh.

Did I mention what a happy hungry person I am?  My poor husband is already trembling in his boots.  I've already started apologizing to people for what I said when I was hungry.  No, really!

Monday is surgery.  I will not eat anything for at least five days.  That's five days starting Monday...that means Friday, Saturday and Sunday are just bonus days... Eight days total. Eight. Days.

What does all of this mean?  Well, in spite of all the dripping sarcasm, I really do believe God will sustain me and comfort me through the whole process.  I believe also that because of that comfort, He will allow me to comfort others in their own journeys.  

I will know a hunger I've never known.  But, during this Lenten period, I'm reminded that Jesus' own journey started with a 40 day fast in the wilderness.  I will know pain like I've never known.  But I'm also strengthened by the pain He endured on the cross.  

In a strange way I believe this is the beginning of a new journey for me.  Not a journey of chemotherapy sickness or the pain of cancer, but rather a journey of encouragement and hope.  Not for myself, but for others.

I have been given a great gift in the peace that passes all understanding.  I don't believe it's just for me, but for me to share.  That's my hope.  

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, os that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received..."  That's my desire.

Only By His Grace,

Billie




No comments:

Post a Comment