Monday, February 3, 2014

For His Name's sake...


I've been thinking a lot lately of many people I know who are going through difficult circumstances.  Some have difficult job situations, some are barely making ends meet, some have family members facing health concerns, some just seem to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders.  It seems to me that everyone I know has something going on.  But I am convinced that the things we go through are not in vain - if we will trust in the one who is greater than we are.  

One of the greatest pieces of scripture to me says, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze...Do not be afraid, for I am with you." Isaiah 43:2,5

I think about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.  They faced difficult circumstances, even to the point of death.  Here is the account from Daniel 3.

16Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. 17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us[c] from Your Majesty’s hand. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.
19 Then Nebuchadnezzar was furious with Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, and his attitude toward them changed. He ordered the furnace heated seven times hotter than usual 20 and commanded some of the strongest soldiers in his army to tie up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace. 21 So these men, wearing their robes, trousers, turbans and other clothes, were bound and thrown into the blazing furnace. 22 The king’s command was so urgent and the furnace so hot that the flames of the fire killed the soldiers who took up Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, 23 and these three men, firmly tied, fell into the blazing furnace.
24 Then King Nebuchadnezzar leaped to his feet in amazement and asked his advisers, “Weren’t there three men that we tied up and threw into the fire?”
They replied, “Certainly, Your Majesty.”
25 He said, “Look! I see four men walking around in the fire, unbound and unharmed, and the fourth looks like a son of the gods.”
26 Nebuchadnezzar then approached the opening of the blazing furnace and shouted, “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!”
So Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego came out of the fire, 27 and the satraps, prefects, governors and royal advisers crowded around them. They saw that the fire had not harmed their bodies, nor was a hair of their heads singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them."

The promise of our Lord is that when we go through the fire, we will not be burned and the flames will not set us ablaze.  Just like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.  

Why do we go through the fiery trials?  Why do we face adversity, sickness, pain and death?  Isaiah 48:10 says, "See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction."  We go through the fiery furnace of affliction, but it is so we can be refined and purified.  It is so the unnecessary things can be burned away.  When Shadrach, Mesach and Abednego came out of the fire, nothing of their persons was harmed.  Not their bodies, not their hair, not their robes.  They didn't even smell like smoke.  But what was removed from them was their bindings (v 25).  What was burned away were the things that would hold them down, hold them back and hold them captive.

However, as glorious as this is, I'm afraid we miss the purpose in our rescue.  I'm afraid we think that our rescue is for our benefit, for our good, for our purpose.  I'm afraid we believe we've been rescued from the fiery trial because we prayed diligently enough, or because we were good enough, or because by our own merit we somehow earned it.

No.  Isaiah 48:10-11 says this:  "See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.  For my own sake, for my own sake, I do this.  How can I let myself be defamed?  I will not yield my glory to another." The trials we face are for His sake, for His glory.  They serve to strengthen and refine us, but they are for Him!

I have posted this before, but I don't want it to be lost here.  I recently heard one minister say, (paraphrased) "The trials we face are not attacks on us.  Rather, they are attacks on God's glory."

If you are going through the fires of affliction today, please know that you are being refined with a purpose.  You are being purified and you will come out unsinged.  The things that are being removed from you are the things you do not need. 

But please also remember, this is not only about your improvement and your rescue.  This is for His glory!  

Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment