Thursday, February 27, 2014

Unfailing love...

I'm often asked how I'm doing.  I think it is second nature when asked, "How are you?" to reply, "I'm doing well,"  or "I'm fine."  But sometimes that isn't the case at all.  Although it isn't always appropriate to pour all our troubles on the unsuspecting, there are times when we're just not doing well. 

There have been many times these past few months when asked, "How are you?" that I answered with, "I'm fine," but really I wasn't fine at all.   Most of the time I am fine. In fact, a standard answer from me is, "I'm doing great!"  When I say I'm doing well, or great, it's because I really am doing well - or great.  If I answer, "I'm okay," or "I'm tired," then you know it's because, well, I'm not great, I'm just okay, or I'm really tired.

I have been so very blessed throughout this whole experience that I can't even begin to put it all into words.  It honestly has been the biggest blessing of my life; I have been changed because of it.  I can sympathize with others more.  I can speak more softly.  I can love more deeply.  I can enjoy the little things with more freedom.  I can treasure every moment of this life.  

The one thing that has been my biggest comfort, however, is knowing that I am cared for by a Heavenly Father who loves me deeply and is intimately acquainted with all my ways.  I have rested in the knowledge that He has had a plan since the beginning.  I have held onto the hope that He would finish the work he has started in me.

Psalm 119:76 says, "May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant."  This has been truth for me.  His unfailing love has definitely been my comfort.  It has comforted me from the beginning when I couldn't comprehend the word, "cancer."  It has been my comfort through the sleepless nights.  It has been my comfort through the long days of chemotherapy.  It has been my comfort through the sick and tired days that followed.  It has been my comfort through the recovery periods.  And it remains my comfort still.

There are still long days ahead.  There will be a long recovery period and definite life changes, and his unfailing love will be my comfort then, too.  

For all of us, when we are down, there are many people that will love us and care for us. There are those that will bring us a meal when we're sick, will help with household chores and transporting our kiddos.  There are prayer warriors that will pray for us and friends who will call to say they love us.  All of that is so very important to us getting through the rough patches of life.  But no one, no one, but our God will love us with an unfailing love.

"In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed..." Ex 15:13

"Turn, Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love." Ps 6:4

"Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love." Ps 31:16

"But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love." Ps 33:18

"When I said, "My foot is slipping," your unfailing love, Lord, supported me." Ps 94:18

I can't imagine where I would be without that unfailing love to carry me and comfort me.

Only By His Grace,

Billie






No comments:

Post a Comment