Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Jeremiah 33:3

"Call to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."  Jeremiah 33:3 NKJV

Apparently, I am an anomaly.  I'm ok with that.  Let me tell you of the great and mighty things God has done for me this week...

Last week was my first chemo treatment.  Side effects were to include, but were not limited to, nausea, fatigue, numbness in hands and feet, insomnia, constipation [sorry if that's TMI], anxiety, irritability... etc, etc.  These side effects were expected to be severe.  So severe, in fact, I was given one prescription to take 3x per day for 3 days post treatment, 3 powerful anti-nausea drugs, 2 narcotic pain killers and one 3-day slow release anti nausea drug in case the other three didn't work.  I was told to sleep, to try to stay in darker rooms, and to take my medications like clock work so the nausea didn't get ahead of me.  

I was called in post treatment for two days of additional magnesium and potassium, kidney function was expected to decrease, platelets were expected to decrease, anemia was also expected, bacterial and/or viral infections were expected as well.

When my doctor called me on Monday to check on me, she found me at the office, doing my job.  Yes, I was tired, but still functioning.  She asked if I had been sick or fatigued.  Fatigued, yes, but that was from a weekend of Christmas parties, staying up late to watch movies, two school functions and general over-doing.  Nausea...not at all.  She was shocked - so shocked she asked, "Are you sure?"  I'm pretty sure!

Today, when I went in for my 2nd chemo treatment, my nurse was shocked and astonished that I had neither been sick, nor tired.  She was amazed that I went to parties, cleaned my house and attended school functions.

My platelets are higher than normal, my kidney function is UP, I'm a far cry from anemic, and I seem to be in good general health.  

Why is this?  Because we serve a Big God.  From the very beginning, I have had people tell me they would pray for my comfort, for peace, for joy, for strength.  Meanwhile, I was rallying for people to say, "I will pray for your healing."  If we serve a big God, why would we limit him in what we pray for?  If we want healing, why would we not ask him for it?

I think it's because we lack trust.  We are afraid to ask for the big thing because we're afraid we will not receive it. It's easy to pray for comfort, peace, joy, and strength because we believe he can and will deliver those things.  But I don't want to offer God a consolation prize.  I don't want to say, "This is what I expect you can do, so it's all I'll ask you to do."   I want to ask him for exceedingly more than I can ask or imagine! 

Why?  Because I am already seeing great and mighty things which I do not know.  I am already seeing your prayers for comfort and peace and joy and strength being answered daily.  I am a walking testimony of God's grace and his abundant mercy, and I am sharing that grace and mercy with everyone I can.  I want them to know why I'm able to do what I do, and how I'm able to function when I should be in bed.  I want them to know that I trust a big God and he is doing great and mighty things in my life.

My devotion scripture this morning says this:  "For I have given rest to the weary and joy to the sorrowing." Jeremiah 31:25 NLT.
I believe I am experiencing this rest and joy.  There are moments of sorrow and moments when I'm weary.  But as a whole there is joy and rest.  I am blessed beyond blessed and so very thankful to the God of all comfort because I know that he will continue to show me great and mighty things which I do not know!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!

Only By His Grace,

Billie




No comments:

Post a Comment