Friday, December 27, 2013

Traveling Steadily along the path...

"Put your hope in the Lord.  Travel steadily along his path.  He will honor you by giving you the land.  You will see the wicked destroyed." Psalm 47:34 NLT


It has been a week since my last update.  It's been a great week!  Lots of Christmas spent with the ones I love.  Lovie took the week off, the kiddos are out of school; it's been magnificent.  Although there were some things we could not do because I wasn't supposed to be around large crowds, we have had a blast.

Christmas morning was as it always is; paper flying, surprised faces captured by the camera, chocolate chip muffins.  I even made a full Christmas feast for the four of us.  Turkey and ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potato casserole, steamed broccoli, fresh baked bread, and a pumpkin pie.

Over the break I had a surprise visit from a friend who saw a pancake post on Facebook and decided to pop in and hug me.  It was probably the best pre-Christmas present I've received yet.  We sat at my kitchen table and shared pancakes; me in my jammies, she in her cute little ponytail.  We chatted and had coffee. It was the highlight of my day.  She is a marvel, this woman...and I love her dearly.  She made my day and I'm still smiling because of her great love.  

From the very beginning of this journey I have said, "if this is the path God wants me to take I will walk it with as much grace as I possibly can."  Today's verse speaks to that, and more specifically, to where we are.  

This week was another big infusion week for me.  What that means is I take two chemo drugs plus two liters of fluids on day one: 7 hours.  Then for two consecutive days I go back in for one liter of fluids: 4 hours each day.  My week is pretty much consumed with the infusion center.  But the staff is amazing and I am greatly blessed by their care.  I feel like we are traveling steadily along his path.

My hope is in the Lord.  From that I have not wavered.  Even when my platelets dropped, my WBC count went too low, and I was borderline anemic, my hope was still in the Lord.  He will not let my foot be moved, he who keeps me will not slumber nor sleep.  

This verse also says, "He will honor you by giving you the land."  For me, right now, the land I have been given is this land of cancer treatment centers, doctors' offices and infusion facilities.  It may seem odd, but I am honored that I have a place in this journey.  I have the opportunity to hold out hope to those who seem hopeless. 

Story:  Just yesterday, the woman I was seated across from was in for her infusion as well.  We chatted for a brief moment.  She was diagnosed with breast cancer; a small lump, but it had spread to her lymph nodes.  Her surgery is scheduled for March.  She said she was trying to be hopeful.  I told her that my step mother had battled and survived breast cancer twice, with two surgeries, and was cancer free for several years.  The lady smiled and said that was very encouraging and was exactly what she needed to hear.  

Now, I'm not one to take credit for these things, but I was honored and privileged to be able to hold out a glimmer of hope to this woman who was clearly concerned.  This is the land I have been given.

The promise also says, "You will see the wicked destroyed."  I don't know if, for me, that means I will see cancer destroyed, or if it means I will see hopelessness, grief, worry and fear destroyed.  

What I do know is this: God in his sovereignty has allowed me to walk this path.  I don't know the reason, I don't know the purpose.  I certainly don't understand the 'why me.'  But since he has allowed me to be here, I want to make the most of my time here. 

So, I put my hope in the Lord.  I walk steadily along his path.  He will me by giving me the land, and I will see the wicked destroyed!

Only By His Grace,


Billie


No comments:

Post a Comment