Friday, December 13, 2013

Whatever you do...

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.Colossians 3:23-24.

Since this journey began, my reaction has been and continues to be, "If God, in His sovereignty, has allowed me to walk this path, I will walk it with as much grace as I possibly can."  I have since changed that thought process to include, "...I will walk it with as much grace as I possibly can...and I will give Him all the glory along the way."

Right now, my world is consumed by this journey.  I sometimes wish I could go back a month to the oblivious fog I operated in.  However, because so much of my life consists of doctors' appointments, treatments and updates, I am considering this my "work" for now; the business of getting better!

In which case, I am taking Colossians 3 to heart.  Whatever I do, I am working at it as for the Lord.  Whether that means I'm sitting in a chair receiving chemo, whether I'm at the lab for blood work, whether I'm just having a check up with the doctor, it is my work for the moment and I will do it as for the Lord.

How does that relate?  Well, when I'm sitting in the chemo chair, when I'm in the lab, when I'm visiting with the doctors, I have a small window of opportunity to be a witness of God's grace in my life in spite of this great trial. 

If I truly believe that this is the path I'm allowed to walk for the moment, and I do truly believe it, then there must be a greater purpose in it - greater than I can see, greater than I can imagine, greater than I can understand. 

God has allowed me to partake in this great journey.  I do not want to fail to represent Him for even a moment.  If one person is touched by His great grace, then I have been allowed to participate in His faithfulness.  If one person is encouraged, if one person is helped, if one person receives a greater hope...then I have been blessed to participate in this heavenly task.

So, because I have been gifted with this great task, since I've been blessed to participate in this great journey, I will do all of it as for the Lord, because he has invited me to participate in this great plan with Him.

I am blessed to be a willing participant - whatever the outcome, wherever the journey leads, my heart will say, "If this is the path He has allowed me to walk, I will walk it with as much grace as I possibly can, and I will give Him all the glory along the way!"

Only By His Grace,

Billie

1 comment: