Monday, March 3, 2014

Knowing light...

The thought has come to me several times the past few days of, "how can we know light, if we never experience the darkness?"

Last winter our family toured Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.  If you've ever taken such a tour, you'll be familiar with the story I'll share.  At one point in the walking tour, the guides brought us into a cavern room with worn wooden bench seats.  After everyone was seated and still, they shut off the lights.  There in the darkness of the cave, there was no light.  As we sat there for several moments it became evident that our eyes would not adjust to the darkness because there was no light.  No matter how long we sat there, or stayed in the cave, our eyes would never adjust to the darkness because there was no light.  Just when the realization of the darkness was sinking in, the guide lit a match; one tiny match had the power to light up the whole area.  One small spark transformed the darkness into light.  

Genesis 1:4 says, "he separated the light from the dark..."
2 Samuel 22:29 says, "...the Lord turns my darkness into light."
1 John 1:5 says, "...in him there is no darkness at all."
Psalm 139:11-12 says, "If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you."

There is darkness, and then there is utter darkness; there is dusk and there is midnight.  There are times when all around us seems to be darkness and we cannot see clearly enough to find our way out of the depths of the night.  

I am convinced that even in the troubling times the darkness acts as a catalyst for worship.  The dark causes us to seek the light of our savior, and in Him we find hope, rest and comfort.  If we never experienced the cold, we would not appreciate the warmth of a fire. If we never experienced stress and strife,  we would not appreciate the moments of quiet solitude.  If we never experienced utter despair, we would not appreciate rest and peace.  

If we live in a place where there is no time of darkness, we cannot appreciate the light of our savior.  These times call us to him, they pull us out of our comfort zones and call us to remember that it is not our striving that gets us anywhere, but rather the hope and grace of our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:6 says, "For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ." 

I am thankful for the dark places I've experienced recently.  I never thought I'd say that, really.  I have dealt with so much sickness these past few months that now I am thankful for the times I feel well.  I have experienced sadness this past year, and now I am thankful because I can experience rejoicing.  I have felt utterly fatigued that now I can be thankful for moments of energy.

A few weeks ago I experienced such woe that now, I rejoice because my mind is free from the sadness and worry.  I am thankful for the light that shines in my heart and leads me to a greater knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ, my savior.  I could not know the blessing of the darkness if it weren't for Him.

Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment