Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sweet Memories...

Apostle Paul said, "I thank my God every time I remember you." Philippians 1:3 NIV

April 6, 2014, Harold Thomas Mattingly went home to be with the Lord.  He was my husband's grandfather.  This week, on May 16, 2014, Alta Wonda Hutcherson Mattingly went home to be with the Lord, and to be reunited with Harold forever in glory.  

They married when Wanda was 16 years old and Harold was 18 years old.  They lived many, many years together.  I have no doubt that these 40 days were the longest they had ever spent apart.

At the funeral service for Harold I heard stories of his love and outreach to others.  How he took new sons-in-law under his wing, taught them tricks of the trade, showed them the love of Christ, and generally loved them with the love he himself had been shown by a gracious Heavenly Father.

Yesterday at the memorial service for Wanda, I listened to story after story of how Mammaw loved her children and her grandchildren; always encouraging them, always praying for them, always supporting them.  I listened to granddaughters tell how she passed down family recipes for Thanksgiving dressing balls and grasshopper pie.  I heard how she invited friends to church for revival.  I heard how she collected occupied Japan ceramics with her daughter, called the youngest every night to say good night, and sent notes of encouragement when another was going through hard financial times.  I watched as her oldest son, her caregiver this past while, said goodbye to a mother who was his caregiver for so many years.

What I heard mostly, though, was the story of a legacy.  A legacy that neither Harold nor Wanda could have ever fathomed they were leaving.  Their legacy is a story of loving others, and depending on Christ.

I myself lost my grandparents at an early age.  I don't really remember them other than vague photo-like snapshots in my mind.  I wish I had more memories, but God has been gracious to me, here, too.  

What I do remember, though, is that at the young age of 18 years old, Wanda and Harold welcomed me into their home for family holidays, allowed me to help in the kitchen, allowed me to join in the family traditions...because they were embracing me as one of their own.  Where others were telling us we were too young to get married, that we would never make it, that we were fools... Wanda and Harold both embraced us and loved us and supported us.  In fact, our first dining room table and four chairs were hand-me-downs from them.  They  knew we could make it against all odds because they themselves had made it against all odds.

No, they weren't perfect.  They squabbled and tiffed.  They made their children mad and their children made them mad.  But all in all, love prevailed.  In the end, God again was faithful, taking two imperfect people home to glory; two imperfect people who rested in the righteousness of Christ as their only hope.

Wanda and Harold Mattingly.  Together Forever in Glory.  We love you Mammaw and Pappaw.


Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment