Monday, March 10, 2014

Hear ye, Hear ye...

One of the strange side effects of chemotherapy for me has been hearing loss and sensitivity to certain sounds.  The "S" sound, the rustling of plastic shopping bags, water running, toilets flushing... they're all painful to my little ears.

Today I saw the ENT.  The audiologist did a diagnostic hearing test.  Turns out, my hearing is actually normal...for a 41 year old.  I still don't know why they have to qualify such things.  They could have stopped with "your hearing is normal."  It's like people who say, "you look good...for your age."  Anyway, the news was positive and for that I'm thankful.

The explanation, however, was extremely interesting to me.  Although it seems like common sense after the fact, it was baffling to me anyway.  These sounds I'm sensitive to are all heard at or about the same wave length.  Much like your nose has tiny hairs to trap dust and dirt particles, your ear also has tiny hairs that absorb sound waves and buffer your ear drum from continuously bombarding sounds.

Around round three of my Cisplatin I started noticing my ears were more sensitive to these sounds, but it went away after a few days.  Then, at round four of Cisplatin, I was very sensitive to these sounds, only it didn't go away.  Here we are nearly 5 weeks out and I'm still very sensitive.  

Around round three I started noticing I was losing a bit more of my hair.  At round four, I had lost quite a bit of my hair.  The ENT told me today that although the ringing in my ears is a chemical side effect of the chemo, the sensitivity to sound is the effect of hair loss in my ear.  Those tiny, microscopic hairs have fallen out, leaving my ear drum bare.  Those tiny sound absorbing hairs aren't there to buffer the noises that cause my ears so much pain.

The good news is that once hair begins to regrow (typically 3 weeks post last treatment) the hairs inside my ears will also begin to regrow.  As they grow the sensitivity to sound will start to fade.  The chemical reaction will also fade and the ringing will eventually go away, too.

This is a huge blessing and I am thankful.  I never doubt the workmanship of my Heavenly Father.  This body he has created all works together, in tune and each part has a specific function.  To think that these tiny, microscopic hairs have such an important function is amazing to me.  It also makes me aware that each of us is created with a purpose in mind.  If we are not living up to the call to which God has created us, then other parts won't function as well.  He is our creator and we are his creation.

I am blessed to know I have such powerful little hairs in my ears. I am also blessed to know that somehow, some way He has a purpose for me, too... I don't need to be a powerful part, I don't have to be a prominent part...I'm happy if he sees fit to use me as something as insignificant as ear hair :)

Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment