Friday, March 7, 2014

Strength for the weary...

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those that hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  Isaiah 41: 29-31 NIV

I am thankful for this promise.  It is one I've heard all my life and leaned on many, many times.  Even though they have discontinued the chemo drug that has the hardest effects on me, I still have some effects from the one I am continuing.  I am mildly nauseous, but nothing like before.  This nausea is very manageable.  I am tired, but not absolutely fatigued.  I can take a nap and recover my strength very quickly.  

On a night like tonight, after a treatment day, my body feels flu-like, achey, and very, very tired.  However, it will pass by tomorrow or Sunday.  These effects will not last for a week, or two, or beyond.

I think back to where I last week, not knowing what treatment they would prescribe, whether or not they would continue the harder option, whether I would even opt to continue treatments...and I look to this verse and see where God has been faithful to me yet again.  

"He gives strength to the weary..."  Yes, once again, he has given me strength when I was utterly weary.  I am thankful for the strength to continue, and his mercy to alter the course.

"...and increases the power of the weak." I have found this past week to be relatively 'normal.'  I can't say I ran miles or cleaned the whole house or accomplished any great feats, but I did feel an increase in my physical being.  He was gracious to give me strength when I was at my weakest.

Treatment days are still tiring, but nothing like before.  God is merciful and gracious.  His grace is enough and his mercy endures forever!

Only By His Grace,

Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment