Saturday, March 29, 2014

Laying up treasures...

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasure in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:19-20

This week I've had an especially good week.  I've felt great, very energetic.  I've even started my spring cleaning.  I love to clean.  I really do.  This has been one of the things I've actually lamented during my bout with chemotherapy.  I haven't felt like cleaning much.  I vacuum, dust the furniture and clean the bathrooms...but beyond that...ehhh. Not much has been happening.  

This week I've cleaned baseboards, deep cleaned cabinets and cupboards.  I'm planning to clean windows in the very near future.  But all of this cleaning has brought to mind the scripture of laying up my treasures in heaven.  This house and all of the objects in it are only things... I need to be a good steward of them and take care of the things God has made us stewards of in this life, but they are just things.  

Although I love my home and I love caring for it, I never want it to become more important than real treasures.  My home nor the things I own should never become a source of prideful arrogance that would cause me to forfeit relationships or make me feel like I am better than another.  

The things in this life are just things. They will eventually fade away.  They will rot, turn to rust, be thrown away or given away...  Even if I keep my home spotlessly and impeccably throughout my life, when I pass away my things will be gone through, decided upon, given away, donated, kept and sifted through.  But even then, they are just things.  Their new owners will also one day die and these things will be given away, sorted through, donated and discarded again.  Because they are temporary things.  They will eventually fade away.  They hold no value on this earth.

The only things that remain with us are the treasures we store in heaven.  

This cancer journey I am on has taught me a lot of things.  I've learned patience and kindness on an intimate level.  I've learned to suffer well.  I've learned to think before acting and pray before speaking.  I've learned that my treasures are not on this earth, they are in heaven.

I have learned to rethink what my treasures are and where they are...

Only By His Grace,

Billie




No comments:

Post a Comment