Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord, God, Almighty...

There is so much I want to write about today; so many passages I want to share.  But resonating in my heart is, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is , and is to come."  Rev 4:8  

I've been thinking so much about God's character, lately; his faithfulness, his mercy, his truth, his love... Yesterday I realized that I have been focused on his characteristics, his attributes, more than I have focused on Him.  

He is merciful - but mercifulness is an attribute.  He isn't simply merciful, He is mercy.  He isn't simply loving, He is love.  He isn't simply truthful, He is truth.  He isn't simply holiness, He is holy.

Sometimes I pray, "Lord you are merciful."  When true adoration worships the one who embodies mercy, not just the characteristic.   I will pray, "Lord, you will bring justice," when true adoration worships the one who is just.  

Most recently, I have prayed, "Lord, you are my healer."  Even still, He is the one who is whole!  Thinking of the attribute of his healing power keeps the focus on my own need - and what I expect of Him.

The angels around the throne do not cry out, "Lord, you are loving," or "Lord, you are truthful," or "Lord, you are merciful."  They cry out the only thing that can be called out to a Holy and living God; "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

I love the attributes of God.  I love his mercifulness.  I love his faithfulness.  I love his kindness.  I love his forgiveness.  I love his peacefulness.  I love his graciousness. 

 I know we cannot separate his attributes from Him.  His attributes are part of who He is.  Just as we are to worship the creator instead of the creation, I want to worship God because of who he is, not simply because of his characteristics.  I want to worship him because he is love, not just because he is loving.  I want to worship him because he is truth, not just because he is truthful.  

There are many scriptures that show us it is okay to look to his attributes.  Psalm 33:18, "But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love."  Psalm 33:21, "In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name."  
I remember Job saying, "Though he slay me, yet I will hope in him." Job 13:15.

I believe we are to hope in him and to trust in his qualities.  I just don't want to neglect who he is - He is Holy.  The cry of my heart this Ash Wednesday is "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come."

Only By His Grace,

Billie






No comments:

Post a Comment